Thursday, July 23, 2009

Claudia Mitchell--Granting Voices to Young Victims

What inspired me most to further explore the possibility of digital literacy and youth using that knowledge to change something in their worlds was an article by Claudia Mitchell entitled In my life: youth stories and poems on HIV/AIDS: towards a new literacy in the age of AIDS. In the article, Mitchell asserts that she examines "the ways in which literacy is changing in the age of AIDS in an area of the world which has been ravaged by the AIDS pandemic" (355). The problem surrounding HIV/AIDS prevention and education in South Africa is one Mitchell explores with the help of first-hand accounts from young people either dealing with the disease themselves, or interacting with people who have and are suffering from it.
I've posted a link to the article to the right of the page-- I highly recommend it!
Also, I've been introduced to a fun new program called Wordle. Here, I've created a "word collage" of key words and phrases that resonated with me after reading Mitchell's article. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to Wordle - it's an innovative, fun (and easy!) tool that can be an intense and effective way to bounce back critique of how certain art was perceived by you. A great way to make a bold and simple statement yourself as well. I will be using this quite a bit in the future! I loved making my own and can't seem to stop creating new statements to put out there!

    ReplyDelete